At 72 years of age, soul legend Aretha Franklin is set to release a new album, Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics. The first track released on Monday is a powerful version of Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” that Aretha has made her own by adding a touch of “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” to it. It’s brilliant!
It seems slightly ironic that Aretha is now releasing an album of covers from some of the world’s most recognizable female artists—Aretha is the original diva and I’m sure many of the women she covers on the record have been inspired by her! The album is due out on October 21 and looking at the track list, we can’t wait to hear it!
- “At Last” (Etta James Cover)
- “Rolling In The Deep” (Adele Cover)
- “Midnight Train To Georgia” (Gladys Knight and The Pips Cover)
- “I Will Survive” (Gloria Gaynor Cover)
- “People” (Barbra Streisand Cover)
- “No One” (Alicia Keys Cover)
- “I’m Every Woman” (Chaka Khan Cover) / “Respect”
- “Teach Me Tonight” (Dinah Washington Cover)
- “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” (The Supremes Cover)
- “Nothing Compares 2 U” (Sinéad O’Connor Cover)
How do you rate Franklin’s version of “Rolling in the Deep”?
Title image source: billboard.com